Sexual misconduct duo suspended
December 2, 1999
The students at the centre of the recent school sex escapade were yesterday given letters of suspension which will keep them away from St Roses' until tomorrow when the Department of Education is expected to rule on action to be taken.
Permanent Secretary (PS) in the Ministry of Education, Hydar Ally, told Stabroek News in a telephone interview that the Department of Education was looking into the matter of the two St Roses' High School students.
The PS stated that he had directed Chief Education Officer, Ed Caesar, to raise the matter with the institution and members of its administration to determine whether measures had been put in place to avoid a recurrence of the ugly scene.
"It certainly does not reflect a positive image on the school... and generally the education system in the country," Ally said.
However, he refused to be drawn on the question of likely sanctions, preferring to allow the Education Department to conduct its investigations into the affair.
Efforts to contact the district education officer for Georgetown again proved futile.
When contacted President of the school's Parent Teachers Association (PTA), Wendella Willabus, declined to make any pronouncement before consulting with teachers and members of the PTA executive to ascertain the facts.
The school's PTA is expected to meet some time today to familiarize itself with the situation and recommend possible action.
The two students were caught in a compromising situation on Monday in a classroom during a protest at the school by teachers over the transfer to St Roses' of a St Joseph's High School student because of a disciplinary problem.
During the action, cameras seeking to demonstrate classrooms without teachers and students discovered the two students in the compromising position. The footage was broadcast on a number of television stations. (Oscar P. Clarke)
A © page from: Guyana: Land of Six Peoples